What is the Colbert Bump?
Today, you’re going to learn all about the legendary phenomenon – the Colbert Bump – and what it’s all about and the buzz it has created.
The Colbert Bump…
– is that phenomenon where anybody who appears on The Colbert Report gets a massive boost in popularity so much so that it creates a tidal wave of effects that include winning in elections, selling tons of albums, and even getting laid!
– is the sudden spurt of fervor that the great American public has for a politician, an actor/actress, a recording artist, a novel writer, etc. after they guest on The Colbert Report. Stephen Colbert states that the bump is good for ‘2 points higher’, but statistics shows that it could create a bump that’s no less than 10 whopping points! This phenomenon was first observed during the 2006 Midterm Elections.
– is a mixed alcoholic drink made of: an ounce of cherry Heering, one and a half ounces of gin, soda water, and some splash of lemon juice. The Colbert Bump drink was created by David Wondrich on the August 4, 2009 episode of The Colbert Report.
On the 2006 Midterm Elections
This is a partial list of politicians who were interviewed at The Colbert Report and thereafter, won the elections:
- Linda Sanchez of California’s 39th – wins with 66% votes
- John Mica of Florida’s 7th – wins with 63% votes
- Jim Moran of Virginia’s 8th District – wins with 66% votes
- Eliot L. Engel of New York’s 17th District – wins with 83% votes
- Albert Wynn of Maryland’s 4th – wins with 81% votes
- Robert Wexler of Florida’s 19th – wins with 100% votes
- Xavier Becerra of California’s 31st – wins with 100% votes
- Eleanor Holmes Norton of the District of Columbia – wins with 100% votes
The Colbert Bump Effect
- 2008 Presidential Candidates
- Ron Paul – his rating went up from 1% to 2% after his interview at The Colbert Report. During voting, he got a groundbreaking 10% of the votes during the 2008 Republican Caucus in Iowa.
- Mike Huckabee – a 2-minute interview with Mike Huckabee produced a 3% bump from the original 1%. He went on to win the 2008 Republican Caucus in Iowa.
- Dennis Kucinich – his appearance at The Colbert Report is expected to give him a huge bump!
- Writers – Sir Salman Rushdie was knighted right after he discussed the condition of literary criticism with Stephen Colbert. It was also reported by Factinista that appearing on The Colbert Report boosts book sales 10 times.
- Recording Artists – Toby Keith’s Big Dog Daddy album went on to take the top spot after he appeared on The Colbert Report. Movits, a Swedish fusion trio, made one of the greatest leaps ever from its 93,400 position in the Amazon charts to the 73rd overnight, following their appearance at The Colbert Report.
- TV Personalities – It’s no surprise that Stephen Colbert himself, the man behind the hugely successful The Colbert Report, was also reaping the rewards of the Colbert Bump!
Here are a few fun facts you should know about the Colbert Bump:
- Do not confuse the Colbert Bump for the Colbert Dump, the latter is pure solid gold!
- The Colbert Bump is a cocktail!
- It is non-malignant.
- Everybody loves Stephen Colbert!